Why Am I writing this blog?

On Feb 8th I'll be heading to Sri Lanka for to do volunteer work so I created this blog to keep anyone who is interested up to date. But there is another reason for this blog... You've probably heard the Dr. Sues line, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
I strongly believe that giving back to our society contributes directly to our own health so I am hoping that I can make a small impact on the community that reads this blog because it might motivate others. I feel like the only way to get the word out about the benefits of social interest is: 1. Do it & 2. Talk about it!
So my entries might jump around a bit with the intention to both share & motivate but hopefully the blog will resonate with you in one way or another.
If you're interested, check out www.uniterra.org to see if there are any positions that would make use of your experience!


Thursday, May 22, 2008

Back Home

I'm back home and I'm sort of just hanging in between the two worlds, waiting patiently like a good Sri Lankan for the Western individualism to sink back in. The last few days in Colombo were a great wind down. After Andrea left I went to my Colombo family's house and celebrated Vesak (the Buddha's Birthday/Enlightenment/Death). On Monday we offered alms to those who were practicing sill (meditating all day and fasting in the evening). To really explain it briefly (which doe not give it much credit) It was a lot like a soup kitchen. I just hung around and jumped in wherever I was needed- serving the food, collecting the dishes and filling waters. I received many "Bless you child's" so I feel like my karma is soaring pretty high these days :)
On Tuesday, I had the best massage of my life at an ayurvedic hospital and then in the aft I helped make a lantern which is hung in the yard of every house in the city. Hanging out in Colombo was a great way to slowly ease back into Western life and to prepare for my 30 hours of travel back home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have my unbelievable daughter back home in little 'Sidney by the Sea', as any mother would feel, I'm glad she's back safe and sound. I have deep gratitude for the Sri Lankan people that treated her as a daughter. I'm sure you will miss her sunny smile and infectious laughter. I invited Ang to my Music Circle to share her inspired stories from the other side of the planet. I almost feel as though I know the girls in the office and her generous family. I wish to send you my deep felt Thank you for your hospitality. You will always be in our hearts and minds. NAMASTE. Angys' mom Jewel Spooner