Why Am I writing this blog?

On Feb 8th I'll be heading to Sri Lanka for to do volunteer work so I created this blog to keep anyone who is interested up to date. But there is another reason for this blog... You've probably heard the Dr. Sues line, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
I strongly believe that giving back to our society contributes directly to our own health so I am hoping that I can make a small impact on the community that reads this blog because it might motivate others. I feel like the only way to get the word out about the benefits of social interest is: 1. Do it & 2. Talk about it!
So my entries might jump around a bit with the intention to both share & motivate but hopefully the blog will resonate with you in one way or another.
If you're interested, check out www.uniterra.org to see if there are any positions that would make use of your experience!


Sunday, January 27, 2008

Contemplation in Toronto Airport


Well, I am in Toronto right now on my way to my training in Quebec. In two weeks I leave for Sri Lanka. I am so excited, especially now that I know that my soul sister Andy and I will be arriving the same day- what a crazy universe!

Getting together with Hugh and Fiona (Graeme’s parents) also got me really energized because looking through their scrap book gave me visuals that can now accompany my imaginings. I have been reading Lonely Planet & Discovery Channel books on Sri Lanka but am trying to be careful. I want the books to inspire ideas and questions not to create any expectations about how things will be. Having no clue what to expect is what makes the experience a journey.

A lot of what I saw and heard did remind me of my trip to Costa Rica & Panama, but I think the devastation in this country is going to be huge as the entire South coast was so greatly affected by the Tsunami.

I just read Eat Pray Love and found it really resonating with me. Elizabeth was looking for Balance between Pleasure, Divinity, and Balance. I’ve also often found myself in a quest for balance. In this case a strike between Presence and Action...

Accept vs. Change

Feel vs. Do

I do not expect to have some great epiphany about how to live life while I run in tea fields and meditate on salt drenched sand.

Three months will probably be a struggle.

But in the end I will hopefully come out with a fresh sense of balance, derived from learning not to fight my intellectual mind’s nammering but to wrap the thoughts up in a blanket of compassion under which I might just discover mind and heart together.

No comments: