Why Am I writing this blog?

On Feb 8th I'll be heading to Sri Lanka for to do volunteer work so I created this blog to keep anyone who is interested up to date. But there is another reason for this blog... You've probably heard the Dr. Sues line, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
I strongly believe that giving back to our society contributes directly to our own health so I am hoping that I can make a small impact on the community that reads this blog because it might motivate others. I feel like the only way to get the word out about the benefits of social interest is: 1. Do it & 2. Talk about it!
So my entries might jump around a bit with the intention to both share & motivate but hopefully the blog will resonate with you in one way or another.
If you're interested, check out www.uniterra.org to see if there are any positions that would make use of your experience!


Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Wired & Tired in La Plaza Hotel, Hull

I went to the cusins house tonight to check out their place and go out for coffee. Coffee at a regular time after eating a full meal normally sends me through the roof but for some reason tonight I decided to go for the gusto at 9:30 pm after only eating a pear for dinner. Anyway, perhaps taking a break from trying to deep breath myself to sleep will help, so I'll tell you a little bit about today's training.

In some ways the training is bringing up even more questions. It was only recently that after asking a few times I discovered that I will be picked up at the airport and given a cell phone in case of an emergency. Phew!
To be involved with an organization of this nature an organized person is likely to have to adapt to this underlying motto: ask many questions but expect no answers. I think of it as an exercise in learning to let go and trusting in the universe's insistence that things will fall in to place- even if your itinerary has you leaving from Sydney instead of Sidney the week before you leave. But it is good for us because when you are traveling in the global South, especially where people don't speak much English, you are probably going to encounter these kind of communication barriers so you might as well get used to it.
What I am getting from this training is not specifics about my position, my country, or my partner organization. The logistics will present themselves soon enough.
But, I am beginning to have my idea reinforced that there are some people that have an grasp of the big picture- people who see the difference between taking other cultures in as piecemeal & Being that culture. People who know that the world is both bigger and smaller than we think.
An organization like this creates the space for people like this to congregate.

No comments: