Why Am I writing this blog?

On Feb 8th I'll be heading to Sri Lanka for to do volunteer work so I created this blog to keep anyone who is interested up to date. But there is another reason for this blog... You've probably heard the Dr. Sues line, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
I strongly believe that giving back to our society contributes directly to our own health so I am hoping that I can make a small impact on the community that reads this blog because it might motivate others. I feel like the only way to get the word out about the benefits of social interest is: 1. Do it & 2. Talk about it!
So my entries might jump around a bit with the intention to both share & motivate but hopefully the blog will resonate with you in one way or another.
If you're interested, check out www.uniterra.org to see if there are any positions that would make use of your experience!


Monday, March 10, 2008

She pulls out Mr.Bean!










HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDY! Hope you have a great one!
The wedding was so fantastic- I can’t believe how beautiful the Galle Face hall was! Fiona & Hugh: you guys are so lucky to have stayed there!!! I was also a little jealous of the tourists who were wearing bikinis & sipping cocktails by the pools but I could also see from the Sri Lankan way- what a strange way to spend your time! I was proud to be Sri Lankan- giggling with the ladies in the bathroom about the discomfort of the sari, and joining in the wedding ceremony 100%- I mean, how funny is it that I sat with the wedding party? Because I am Pearl’s duwa (daughter), and the groom is her son-in-laws brother, I am also a relative. Just check out this picture where I am right in with the bride and groom! I was in the professional ones, too!
The ceremony was really interesting with the Kandyan dancers and chanting and the fire lighting and all, and unlike our usual ceremonies it didn’t drag on for more than about ½ an hour. But after this was the usual photo time and the bride and groom have to go to each table to be congratulated so lunch wasn’t for a couple of hours. When it finally came I was soooooo badiginny (hungry) and there was so much delicious food. I also got re-acquainted with my old friend the fork. And I was the only one using it. Some held on to their culture, and the rice with their hand, and others used a combination of two spoons.
Wearing the sari was nice because the hotel was air-conditioned, but as soon as I got outside I felt like I was going to suffocate from either the heat or explode at the stomach - the sari has a way of digging in to your organs after a good meal and especially the thick wedding sari is not exactly made with comfort in mind. To relieve my pain, I very discreetly made a change in the backseat- it was not so easy in a pin-filled sari but I thought I was quite masterful. When we stopped soon after Pearl was about to ask if I wanted to get out to change- but when she turned around she saw that I already was.
“You’re crazy!” she said and I think she was a little mad. But later, she began laughing “you are like Mr.Bean, brushing his teeth and changing in his car. Like Mr. Bean!” I told her how my mom called me Ellie May Clampett and made my best attempt to explain.
Anyways, on my way home I thought about how insanely well I am being treated. I got the trip to Colombo and participation at a beautiful wedding without anyone accepting a cent. I am going on Weds to the homecoming though (party after the wedding) so I will have to bring something small. I was also chatting with Rohan and explaining to him that the experience was unlike any I could have ever imagined. I hope anyone who is considering volunteering in SL understands how safe they will feel once they are here and how glad they will be that they came. Every volunteer who has come to SL so far has extended their stay! Do it, do it!

No comments: