Why Am I writing this blog?

On Feb 8th I'll be heading to Sri Lanka for to do volunteer work so I created this blog to keep anyone who is interested up to date. But there is another reason for this blog... You've probably heard the Dr. Sues line, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
I strongly believe that giving back to our society contributes directly to our own health so I am hoping that I can make a small impact on the community that reads this blog because it might motivate others. I feel like the only way to get the word out about the benefits of social interest is: 1. Do it & 2. Talk about it!
So my entries might jump around a bit with the intention to both share & motivate but hopefully the blog will resonate with you in one way or another.
If you're interested, check out www.uniterra.org to see if there are any positions that would make use of your experience!


Sunday, February 24, 2008

Brief Update



Hi there.

I am still loving it here. I'm actually getting to know the girls quite well which is cool and I will be moving into my new house tonight. This is good because I won't have to eat large amount of rice & curry three times a day including dinner which is usually around 9 or 10pm. Luckily the biggest meal is lunch! But I still usually sneak my plate out to the dogs to spare the Sri Lankan feelings.

Moving out is also sad though because Conrad and Pearl have been so fantastic. I promised I would come over on the weekends and such. But I always feel so bad because when the girls come over they work so hard around the house and I always ask but she always says nae. I figured out now why they were so family-like right away- yesterday Pearl told be that because they are Buddhist they believe we were together before the bird- (after about halk an hour, I figured out it were actually together before the "birth" not "bird").

Haha, she can't understand my accent either because she grew up in a Catholic convent with British teachers. We have quite the back and forth communication but at least she can speak English- with many others it is hard to get past the fact that "no I am not hungry" and "yes, I love Sri Lanka." Sometimes even that is hard to get across.

I haven't had to spend a cent on food. Not that I care though because everything is cheap. Have I expressed that enough? Four people can eat out for $2.00!

I actually just spoke with Harshani about extending my stay a week or so because I am supposed to fly out May 4 which is way too soon!

I order 200 cards so that I can attempt to fit them in my bag and I can order more in the future- it is so cheap to send.
Another bus bomb went off - in Mt. Lavinia where Andy and I were. 18 were injured but I don't think anyone died.

No comments: