Why Am I writing this blog?

On Feb 8th I'll be heading to Sri Lanka for to do volunteer work so I created this blog to keep anyone who is interested up to date. But there is another reason for this blog... You've probably heard the Dr. Sues line, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
I strongly believe that giving back to our society contributes directly to our own health so I am hoping that I can make a small impact on the community that reads this blog because it might motivate others. I feel like the only way to get the word out about the benefits of social interest is: 1. Do it & 2. Talk about it!
So my entries might jump around a bit with the intention to both share & motivate but hopefully the blog will resonate with you in one way or another.
If you're interested, check out www.uniterra.org to see if there are any positions that would make use of your experience!


Thursday, February 28, 2008

Funeral to Wedding

Here is the pic of the coconut hut girl- this is here bedroom and market stand! The other pics are the kids at MCC- I have like 100 photos so I'll just throw a couple up for you to see how CUTE they are! The girl on the right is Sarah, my friend Shanu's neice. They wear the Swedish colours because that is who funds them.
My new place is very good. They even bought me toilet paper which was really sweet. I'm still getting fed for all my meals. If I don't bring a lunch the girls feed me. It might seem rude in Canada that they are all grabing the rice and fish from each others plates and giving it to me but I like the unity of it. The number one question I get asked is "breakfast?" or "lunch?" They are asking if I've had it because if not they want to feed me right then and there.
Another question that comes up upon introduction is "brothers, sisters?" It is part of their introduction... Mage nama Angela, Mama Nangi (younger sister). The older girls actually call me Nangi and the younger, Akka, when they are not calling me Ms. Angeline, Angie or sudunoona. Haha, they haven't quite put thier finger on Angela.
I am going to a funeral today with Amma- a friend she went to school with died from cancer. I suspect it will be very different from our funerals- more of a celebration. They seem to accept death differently. Like when Conrad was telling me about the day after the tsunami when he went looking for Sri Pauli (eomployee and teacher) he said there were dead bodies everywhere, and he was chuckling? It's the reincarnation thing I guess. Anyway, I can tell you more about the funeral later.
I might also get to go to a wedding on March 8 if I don't have to stay here for the International Women's Day party! Woot woot! I'm going to see if Andy can come, too, because it is at the Galle Face Hotel in Colombo. Amma is getting a sari made for me.

No comments: