Why Am I writing this blog?

On Feb 8th I'll be heading to Sri Lanka for to do volunteer work so I created this blog to keep anyone who is interested up to date. But there is another reason for this blog... You've probably heard the Dr. Sues line, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
I strongly believe that giving back to our society contributes directly to our own health so I am hoping that I can make a small impact on the community that reads this blog because it might motivate others. I feel like the only way to get the word out about the benefits of social interest is: 1. Do it & 2. Talk about it!
So my entries might jump around a bit with the intention to both share & motivate but hopefully the blog will resonate with you in one way or another.
If you're interested, check out www.uniterra.org to see if there are any positions that would make use of your experience!


Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Still taking pictures, even when lost

Haha, so it was my first day walking today and being that I was on the other side of the street and trying to avoid eye contact, tuk tuks and rabie dogs, I walked right past my turn off.
I started to notice that things weren't looking right but I kept walking until I saw a lady. She got her daughter to come out of their coconut stand and she knew a little English. Not enough though! So I called Nilu, my new house Amma, and she called her husband and he called me back, etc. The girl told him where I was and he called the office to send me Wasantha and the tuk-tuk. The girl invited my inside her shack/bedroom/store and offered me a seat.
When I got to INDECOS I was about an hour late and all the girls were stressing out. They were all crowded around waiting to see that I was ok and I got scolded for not wearing a watch. Haha. They found it particularly funny that while everyone was so worried I was just hanging out conversing with this 16 year-old and I had taken the picture to prove it.
I'm going to print the picture and take it to the girl with a granola bar or clothes or something to say thanks becuase as I left she asked "you come back, no?"
I'm telling you, this is how welcoming these Sri Lankans are! It's crazy.
Anyway, I should get back to work. It's only across the street so hopefully I can find it.

No comments: